One of my clients could not figure out why she was feeling so lazy and tired, regardless of eating healthy and drinking coffee.
In fact, she realized coffee was making her more tired. Like making-her-nearly-fall-asleep-at-the-wheel tired.
Adrenal fatigue robs you of your “get up and go.” It literally depletes your willpower on a chemical level.
Your adrenals are two little peanut-shaped glands that sit on top of your kidneys and pump out hormones that make you energized. When they’re overworked, they burn out.
They’re like your rechargeable battery pack – they’re always there for you, but they need to be recharged frequently.
When your adrenals are out of balance and overworked due to stress, diet, and/or environmental factors, tons of different frustrating symptoms show up. If you’re experiencing any or all of the below symptoms, you might have adrenal fatigue.
- Wake up exhausted and have trouble getting through your work day.
- Rely on and crave caffeine, carbs, fat, salt, and/or sugar for energy.
- Often get energized around 10pm and then can’t fall asleep.
- Are gaining weight for no reason, especially around your belly, chest, arms, and face.
- Find yourself irritable and anxious; it’s like you can’t handle stress the way you used to.
- Notice your skin and hair are dry and brittle, no matter how much lotion you slather on.
- Have chronic digestive issues, including diarrhea, constipation, gas, and/or bloating.
- Feel a sense of impending doom; you’re often anxious and scared.
- Experience brain fog, memory issues, and inability to focus.
- Feel like you’re on an emotional rollercoaster all the time.
- Have no libido, and your hormones are out-of-whack.
And this is what I’m doing to support my ACTIVATE client in healing her precious adrenal glands aka battery pack…
- Matcha and other fancy, delicious teas instead of coffee, for now.
- Protein-rich breakfast within 90 minutes of waking up.
- Focusing on light exercise; heavy exercise can exacerbate adrenal fatigue.
- In bed before 10pm, so she avoids that 10pm rush of energy, and consequential inability to fall asleep until super late.
- Less gluten and dairy, more seaweed, bone broth, cooked veggies, good fats, and protein.
This is just a sneak peek into how we’re navigating her adrenal fatigue – part of the big, holistic picture.
How we approach adrenal fatigue is bespoke for each client, because no two people are the same. It’s all about what works for your unique body and what feels totally doable on a mental level. Otherwise, you won’t take action and you won’t see results.
That’s why health coaching works so well and I believe in it so much – we always takes the individual into account instead of giving all clients a blanket prescription.
Coaching is what’s made the biggest difference in my life personally, and it’s how I facilitate complete transformations for my clients.
Do you suspect that you have adrenal fatigue, too?
Healing this super common, debilitating condition is a huge focus in ACTIVATE, my private 6-month health coaching program for emotional eaters and chronic dieters who want to master intuitive eating.
Leave a comment below if you want to be added to the waitlist – doors reopen in a couple months.
Have a question about inexplicable exhaustion and “laziness?”
Ask me below – I love hearing from you.
Remember: I am not a doctor or dietitian. Check with your physician before making any diet or lifestyle changes. <3
Photo via Sarah Bahbah